Afterschool Centre for Career Development (formerly known as Afterschool Peer Mentoring Project) is pleased to announce the launch of its #ShowYourSkillsCampaign organized as part of its activities to celebrate and promote the inaugural United Nations World Youth Skills Day held on July 15th 2015.
In designating the World Youth Skills Day, the United Nations General Assembly
· ‘expressed concern at the high number of unemployed youth, estimated globally at 74.5 million in 2013, the majority of whom live in the developing countries
· noted that Member States have an important role in meeting the needs and aspirations of youth, particularly in developing countries,
· Recognized that the fostering of the acquisition of skills by youth would enhance their ability to make informed choices with regard to life and work and empower them to gain access to changing labour markets.
The #ShowYourSkillsCampaign seeks to generate greater awareness on the relevance skills development comprising core skills, technical and vocational skills as well as highlight the place of skills acquisition in driving employability and entrepreneurship.
The Campaign is hinged on the fact that skills drive the future of work for both local and global economies and the need for young people to position themselves accordingly.
How to participate:
1. Open to young people across Africa under 35 years of age
2. Send a picture of yourself showing off your skills
3. Tweet to @Afterschool_dev using the hash tag #ShowyourSkillsCampaign and #YouthSkillsDay
4. Refer your friends to tweet at #ShowYourSkillsCampaign and mention you in their tweets
5. At the end we will compile the submitted pictures into a skills handbook that will be shared globally.
6. The best pictures that demonstrate skills will be offered an all -expense paid trip to attend our School to Work Transitions event in Cape Town, South Africa in October 2015.
Campaign Timeline: July 1st – 31st August, 2015
About Afterschool Centre for Career Development:
Afterschool Centre for Career Development (formerly known as Afterschool Peer Mentoring Project) is a non-governmental, capacity development organization committed to inspiring, investing and engaging young people as well as facilitating growth opportunities for young persons in transitional stages of their lives. We ignite young people to set career goals and walk them through the achievement of such goals enabling them transit seamlessly from school to work.
At Afterschool Centre for Career Development we employ various strategic interventions to counsel, train and provide growth opportunities for young people to prepare for the world of work through a peer mentoring model. Our programmes and projects include a Pathfinder programme for Adolescents, A Pre-Tertiary Training Programme for Post-Secondary school graduates, and Workplace Training for Undergraduates as well as career advancement training for young professionals.
Beyond providing direct services Afterschool Centre for Career Development provides a springboard for Stakeholder collaboration and thought leadership on issues regarding holistic education including career counseling, employment and youth transitions programming. Some initiatives under our thought leadership portfolio include; The Career Counselors Coalition and the School to Work Transitions in Africa Initiative.
For more information, inquiries, and partnerships on the #ShowYourSkillsCampaign, please contact:
Programmes & Partnerships Manager
Afterschool Centre for Career Development (ACCD)
Opportunity hub: www.afterschoolhub.org