About the Etisalat Prize for Literature
The Etisalat Prize for Literature is the first ever pan-African prize to applaud first time writers of published fiction. The Etisalat Prize was founded in June 2013 and has a board of patrons which include some of Africa’s finest intellectuals. Submitted works must be the writer’s first fiction book of over 30,000 words and published within the last twenty-four months. The winner of the prize receives £15,000 and attends the Etisalat Fellowship at the prestigious University of East Anglia.
The Etisalat Prize for Literature which is the first Pan African Literary Award to celebrate African fiction writers seeks to recognize, celebrate and reward debut fiction writers of African descent whose works are published in the last 24 months.
The Etisalat Prize for Literature celebrates new writers of African citizenship whose first fiction book (over 30,000 words) was published in the last twenty four (24) months. For the purposes of this definition, first book means first printed production in book form of any type or genre. Authors and their publishers can be based anywhere in the world. An online Flash Fiction Prize will be launched later in the year driven entirely by social media – more information on this will be made available on our website.
The winner of the Etisalat Prize for Literature receives £15,000, a Samsung Galaxy Note and a Montblanc Meisterstuck.
In line with our vision of promoting upcoming writers,
* Etisalat will sponsor a book tour to three African cities.
* The winning writer will also embark on the Etisalat Fellowship at the University of East Anglia mentored by Professor Giles Foden (author of The Last King of Scotland) which will include significant opportunities to meet other writers, publishers and most importantly work on their second book.
* Shortlisted writers will win a Samsung Galaxy Note and also go on a book tour to two major African cities.
The Etisalat Prize for Literature is unique in that it also aims to promote the publishing industry at large and will therefore purchase 1000 copies of all shortlisted books which will be donated to various schools, book clubs and libraries across the African continent.
Criteria for Entry
Submissions will only be accepted from publishing houses.
All books entered must have a registered ISBN number or equivalent.
Entries for fiction books will be submitted by publishers who have published a minimum of ten (10) authors.
Each publisher will be allowed to enter a maximum of three (3) books – however books maybe called in by the judges.
Each entry will be required to be accompanied by Seven (7) copies of the book being entered along with acceptance of publicity terms.
The Etisalat Prize for Literature is not open to employees of any organisation under Emirates Telecommunications Corporation with branded trade name Etisalat.
How to Enter
Applications will be accepted via post only. Please complete the attached entry form signifying acceptance of our terms and conditions.
Download the Entry Form HERE
The application form should be submitted along with seven (7) copies of the submitted book to the following address:
Etisalat Prize for Literature
Building 2, Oriental Office Building
3, Lekki Road, Victoria Island
Contact Telephone: +234 (0) 818 111 0 222
Entries fulfilling the criteria listed below will be accepted until the 30th August 2013
* The book was first published between 01 May 2011 and May 31 2013
* The book was first published in English and by an author of African citizenship
* All shortlisted and winning authors will cooperate fully with Etisalat corporate communications, making themselves available for interviews, events and other opportunities where possible
* Entries by non-African based publishers will require a co-publisher partnership with an African based publisher should any entries be shortlisted
Call to Entry 12th May 2014
Entry Deadline 8th August 2014
Long list announced 3rd November 2014
Shortlist announced 8th December 2014
Winner announced 22nd February 2015
A Press Conference will be held in Lagos, in June, to announce the panel of judges for this year’s competition. Rules and guidelines for entry are available on www.etisalatprize.com
Entries close 8th of August 2014.