‘I Want To Win A Grammy’ Capital F.E.M.I

                              


His calm persona blends with his voice and style of music, but his dreams and passion for the R&B genre are far from gentle.

In this interview, ‘Femi Adeyinka, otherwise called Capital F.E.M.I speaks about his start in the industry, his love for R&B, and his plans to stay true to it for as long as possible.


Let us into your background and when music came into the picture.

My birth name is Olufemi Oladipupo Adeyinka. I’m from Ogun State, Abeokuta, but I was born in Lagos and raised in the States from a very young age. My dad is an ex-pilot, and that was at the time when Nigeria had only 25 pilots. As for music, I started as a dancer and didn’t take music seriously until I got into college. I joined a group called Repertoire. I later joined another group, Forthcoming, and then things turned around. We were at that time the best group in the area. The group later broke up, as everybody turned to different things, but I chose to continue with music.

What was responsible for your decision to go into music?

Love for it. The way it makes you feel. Most times, we choose to do things because we love it. I think there are certain things we do well, and when you find such things, why not make something out of it. So, it was because of the love for it and I believe this is what God has called me to do.

How did your parents react to your decision?

When I decided to go into it full time, one of the biggest fear I had was my parents. I thought ‘my dad didn’t send me to America to be a singer.’ Another fear was if I could really do this, because it is not an easy thing, but I thank God I overcame all these things. My dad was not for it in the beginning. He was bent on me finishing my studies, but now he’s my number one fan. He has critiqued the album and even suggests which song I should be pushing, As for my mum, she is easy. She was like, if this is what you want to do, you have to do it well.

Before you left for Nigeria in 2009, were you worried your music may not be accepted in the country?

I came to Nigeria with an open mind, a case of ‘either I stay or I don’t,’ so I wasn’t really scared. I think having such a mind makes things easier. I didn’t have any expectations and I didn’t come with a desperate mind either. I came in with a determination not to compromise myself. Also, before I came, the likes of my brother, Gbenga Adeyinka and my cousin, Jide Akindele already assured me there was room for my music, and to God be the glory, this is just the beginning and not even the tip of the ice berg.
How has the journey been so far?

The journey has been great, in all honesty. I’m blessed. Of course there are doubts about certain decisions, but away from all of that, I’m grateful. I am only three years in the industry, so I’m still a baby, there are people like 2baba (2face Idibia), Sound Sultan and other people who have been there for a long time. It’s an honour for me to be part of the industry and to know that people appreciate my music and my person. In my first year, I was nominated for the Headies, even without an album. I won Best Vocalist of the year, 2011, even without an album.

In your short stay in the industry, you’ve done quite well. To what would you attribute your success?

I think my success is down to originality and my personality, and it’s evident in my music, it doesn’t contradict who I am and of course, it’s good music. When you hear Capital F.E.M.I, you can’t deny it; even if it isn’t your favourite genre, you still can’t help it.

It took you three years to arrange your album. How is it doing since its release?

Its doing great. God’s time is the best, some people say it took too long, I ask them to come be in my skin and see how things are. It’s a lot of work. Almost three years of lots of work into just one CD. Sometimes, I look at the album and I am like ‘is that all?’ but it was the best three years I have spent because I worked hard and I am happy about its success. Trust me, the album is a must-have, it’s one of those albums you must have. It’s not because the album is mine, but because I put a lot into it and I know what I am doing with my work. Let me tell you something, I want to win a Grammy and it’s not impossible, if I get support from the right quarters.

As growing artiste, what are the challenges you have had to face?

The number one challenge is structure. The industry is growing so fast, but there are no structures and foundations, and if we are not careful, we may crumble. My reason for saying this is because there is really nothing protecting the artistes from people pirating our work. Even in America, piracy exists but there are still laws and structures to ensure the artistes make a good living. It’s getting better, we now have companies endorsing artistes and I know in time, mine will come too. Think about it, each time an artiste’s song is played on air in America; they get some royalty for it. I also feel that the government doesn’t know the amount of dollars they can make from this industry. This is a multibillion dollar empire and if the right structures are put in, a lot of money can be made. A lot of artistes are here in Nigeria, but how many of them are really making money? Just a few, and it shouldn’t be like that.

Shouldn’t your case be different, since you’re signed on to one of the biggest labels in the country?

True, Kennis music is big and it is a privilege to be signed on the label. They are legendary in their own right. They are part of music history in Nigeria and gave birth to all the other labels we have now. One of the things that made me sign to the label was that they had the same vision as I did. They didn’t want me to dilute my sound or my style, they wanted me to be Capital F.E.M.I and the journey has been a good journey. At times, I ask myself if I would be where I am without the platform. Everything happens for a reason and I’m grateful. Right now, the chapter in my life is Capital F.E.M.I and Kennis music. The next chapter will unfold very soon on what different things I will be doing and different things like that.

Are you insinuating you may be leaving Kennis music soon?

I’m not saying that at all. What I’m saying is, right now, the album is out, which is one chapter. Another chapter you may be seeing very soon is a R&B concert in Nigeria.

And when is that going to be?

You never know, but I smell 2013.

How did the Kennis Music journey begin?

The journey began with my big brother, Gbenga Adeyinka. We sat down and talked about how to make the brand move forward. My brother called up Baba Nee, who works for Kennis Music. He listened to my stuff and set up a meeting. At that point, they weren’t even looking to sign anyone, but thank God the way it turned out. I even tried to record a song with Yoruba so I could show him I can sing well in Yoruba, but he was like the song ‘Never Felt a Love’ is me and I should stick to it.

There are many stories surrounding the silent release of your first album. The trend right now is to launch albums amidst fanfare, why was that different with you?

If you do an album with a big launch, what do you do on your next album? You work within your means. There are certain people in the industry who are privilege to have means to do such big things, but I believe we do things within our means and I do also believe that everything is a gradual step, We did a listening party for it and thank God it was successful, and again, this is my path and there is no reason to compare myself to them. We are walking our walks differently.

You have always sounded passionate about R&B. Why that genre?

I am R&B to the core but people forget something. There is R&B in hip hop, pop, jazz and all other genres. R&B is called rhythm and blues. If you see me on a hip hop track, I’m the R&B in the track, so goes to every other song I do. I am R&B in everything I do, but you’ll get to see a different side of me soon, not to worry. Most people don’t know, but I’m a huge hip hop head. I listen to the late [Notorious] B.I.G, Jay Z, and other. I will dibble and dabble, but will still do R&B.

A lots of artistes claim to be R&B singers but eventually end up doing something else, perhaps because of the pressure of the demand for up-tempo songs. Do you see yourself in this category anytime soon?

I will stick with what I know. People that have done that in the past do so either because they find themselves or pressure to be on that side of things, but I think patience is key. Asa is an example, when she first came into the industry, was everybody running towards her? She was the young lady wearing dreadlocks and doing deep songs, but see how widely accepted she is now, do you think she would do ‘tinko tinko’ music now? As I say, I walk my own path, but for me it is a no, I will always be me. Let people love you for you. I have learnt something in life too that life is a big pie; you cannot have all.

Your album is titled Year of RnB. Are you implying there was never R&B before you came on board?

I’m just saying I will give you the real stuff. The way it is supposed to be, undiluted. I just want to let them know I’m here to stay. I’m going to dabble in other things, but of course you grow, one thing in life that is constant is change. I called the album that on purpose; I want people to go listen and feel what it is.

For your album cover, why did you choose to go shirtless?

The concept of the album is to give you me. I’m giving you the naked me, untouched, unclothed, and also let you know I am not afraid. Of course, some think it is sex related but it is about giving me out, just like a brand new baby coming into the world.

What’s next on your plate?

The album just came out and I haven’t stopped working. I am already writing new songs and also I recorded over 50 songs so I am not empty. Out of the 25 songs I recorded for my album, we only picked 17, so my songs are just waiting for me. I’ll keep on recording, but now you will be seeing more collaborations from me. We’re also trying to push the album and the brand, and create more visibility for the album and the brand.

Speaking of collaborations, which artistes are you planning to work with?

A lot of people. I would like to work with MI, 2face and some other female artiste, the likes of Waje. I am also looking towards doing international collaborations, either in the UK or US artistes here and there.

What artistes would you like to work with internationally?

Jay Z, Drake. I just like something about rappers. I think R&B singers and rappers make a good team. I like what Chris Brown is doing. Anything is possible. I’d also like to work with some of the people that really influenced me, like Joe, R Kelly, and the legendary Stevie Wonder. A lot of collaborations, but I believe everything is a gradual process

Are you in a relationship?

I don’t want to talk about my personal life, not because I don’t want people to know if I am in a relationship or not, but I just believe that there are certain things I can’t just let you know about. I am not married and I am happy.

Apart from music, what other things can you do?

I have a soft heart for kids, so I see myself doing something like an after-school programs for kids, building a place where kids can come to after school for lessons and related things, this is because I believe in their future. I entertain, I act too. A lot of people don’t know I did musicals in America.

So are we looking at you featuring in Nigerian movies anytime soon?

You never know. If the likes of Kunle Afolayan knock on the door and ask me to do something, I don’t have a problem with that as long as it is the right story.

What kind of role would you like to play?

I believe I can play any role but it’s just that I am not that kind of bad guy, but you will be surprised I just might play it well, because some of the baddest guys have very innocent faces.

Finally, do you see yourself ever quitting music?

No, I will just include a lot of different things as an entertainer. If you are an entertainer, plenty of doors open for you. You just have to accomplish one thing before moving to the next one.
Source: The NET

Comments