EXCLUSIVE: ‘I won on merit’ – MBGN 2012 winner, Isabella Ayuk



25-year-old Isabella Agbor Ayuk is a graduate of Business Administration from the University of Calabar. With a huge experience on the pageant scene, the new Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria says she’s ready to face any controversy that comes with the crown…
Tell us about your background
I come from a large peaceful family, we are 25 children and I have three lovely mothers. I’m the 20th child of the family. My childhood memories were very exciting because I grew up with 24 other people and there was never a dull moment in the house.
When you were announced as the winner, how did you feel?
I just couldn’t believe it, because I had been here three times and I said to myself; ‘Is this for real? Was that Cross Rivers they just mentioned?’ I started crying because I had been here in 2009, 2010 and in 2012, so it was hard for me to believe it.
How do you feel meeting with the press first time after your crowning?
I felt so great. I felt like a super star in that moment.
The question that won you the crown was that of your pet project on typhoid. Do you intend to continue with it?
Yes, as a matter of fact, it was the project that brought me to MBGN again. I needed a platform that could help me realize a dream and to spread the news across Nigeria that typhoid is a dreaded disease that we shouldn’t take with levity. In 2006 my sister was sick and we didn’t find out on time that she had typhoid. By the time we did, it was too late, and she died. So, I intend to continue, even after MBGN.
Apparently, this isn’t your first foray into the pageant world. What other crowns have you won?
Miss South South 2007, Miss Global Nigeria 2009 and then the latest crown is MBGN.
Has anything about you changed since you won the crown?
Nothing has really changed. When I go on the road and people see me, they identify me and say ‘oh that is the new MBGN winner.’ Sincerely, nothing has changed about me, I am still me.
How are you going to implement your health campaign?
I intend to go to the villages and educate them on how to keep their water and surroundings clean. This is because most of these people are not well enlightened. I will start the fight against Typhoid from my state. We had poor facilities because we were staying in the village and the local health care system couldn’t provide much for my sister then.
Where do you get motivation and inspiration from?
I derive inspiration and encouragement from the people around me, my family and loved ones.
Who is your role model and why?
My role model is the first lady of my state. She always shows care and love to the less privileged ones, the needy and people around her.
As the Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria, how do you plan to retain your beauty for the year?
I’ll go to the Gym regularly, eat the right food and wear the right clothes.
Speaking of clothes, do you have a particular designer you wear?
Not really, but I love Modella and I intend to make a statement with that. My fashion style will be good and of course as an ambassador, I will keep up the trend to look good as possible.
There are rumours that you bought your way to the crown. What’s your reaction?
I got it based on merit. There are a lot of beautiful ladies that contested with me for the crown; anyone of us could have won the pageant. But I’m happy, blessed and grateful that I got the crown.
How do you intend to manage the controversy out there?
I am not quite new to wearing crowns but this is different. The crown comes with a lot of issues and challenges and I’m ready to face them and I will definitely get there.

Comments